Crispy Chickpea PattiesPosted: September 15, 2012
These were pretty delicious my friends. I try not to eat too many chickpeas as they don’t always agree with me but I can’t help myself sometimes! These patties burst with flavour and have such a nice crunch!
1 cup dried chickpeas, washed and soaked overnight
1.5 cups brown rice, washed and soaked overnight
3-4 green onions, sliced finely
¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp red chili flakes
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp ground chia
6 tbsp water
1 tbsp chickpea flour
Grapeseed oil for frying
1. Cook chickpeas and set aside
2. Cook brown rice and set aside
3. Combine 2 tbsp chia with the 6 tbsp water, set aside and let sit for about 10 mins
4. In a food processor combine 1 cup of the brown rice and ¾ of the can of chickpeas. Pulse about six times, until combined but not pureed. Add the remaining chickpeas and pulse just once or twice to break them down but leaving them in large pieces.
5. Pour out mixture into a bowl and add the remaining rice and the rest of the ingredients (including the chia and water mix). Mix well to combine.
6. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add oil.
7. Once the skillet is hot form patties and place in hot oil. Fry in hot oil until browned, flip and brown on the other side. This should take about 5 minutes per side. You want a nice golden brown and crunchy texture on the outside.
Adapted from The Gluten Free Vegan