I was so happy to eat these. Irfan and I are STILL on our cleanse, going onto week 8! We are not allowed to have any sugar, INCLUDING natural sugar, and INCLUDING most fruits.
I have been missing baked goods and so these muffins totally hit the spot! And so easy to make, it’s a win win!
I can’t take the credit for this, Jemila made this into a “cake” for us a few weeks back – thanks Jemila! 🙂
Side note: Jem is currently in Vietnam and will be teaching there for the next 2 years, you follow her adventures on her blog at everydayjems.
7/8 cup oil + 1/2 tsp sea salt (strange, I know but it is our “butter”)
3 tbsp ground chia
9 tbsp water
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice from concentrate (we can have pineapples on our diet – hollaaaa 😉 )
2 & 1/2 cup buckwheat (I use light as it has less of an aftertaste)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups shredded carrots
optional: stevia (I put about 1/2 tsp of the clear extract, you could put more as mine wasn’t very sweet)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the chia and 9 tbsp water. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
3. Combine the olive oil and salt mixture (our “butter”) with the chia mixture, pineapple juice and stevia (if using).
4. Combine the buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in a separate bowl.
5. Gradually add the flour mixture to wet mixture beating until well blended. Stir in carrots.
6. Spread batter into a greased muffin/cake/loaf pan.
7. Bake 30-45 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.